Monday, October 22, 2012

Sociocultural Aspects of Schooling for ELs

English learners in schools across America will face both social and cultural issues on a day-to-day basis. One such social and cultural issue may be discrimination in schools by their peers. I have noticed when walking through my school that there is a specific area or part of the campus where students of one ethnic group may hang out. Even within the classrooms, I have witnessed students only hanging out and speaking to those of their same ethnic group. While in some classrooms I have seen that not to be an issue, in my classroom I would like to address the issue. Due to my observation, I would strive to continue building an atmosphere and an environment within my classroom of community and respect. Through classroom activities where students may get to know each other better, I wish to have my students recognize the uniqueness of each individual and praise their differences rather than look at those differences as reasons not to be friends. As an educator, when you can build community and camaraderie, you build links and bridges between individuals that will last throughout their lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment